A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A VMware CDP Proxy for Veeam Backup & Replication that processes CDP Policies. A VMware CDP proxy is a component that operates as a data mover and transfers data between the source and target hosts for continuous data protection.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 or later (Virtual or Physical) with x86-64 processor with minimum of 8 cores (vCPUs), 16 GB RAM and 300 MB plus disk-based write I/O cache (non-persistent data, at least 50 GB recommended).
- Network connection of 1Gbps or faster. Fast network between hosts and VMware CDP proxies is required, including LAN and WAN connections.
- We recommend you to configure at least two VMware CDP proxies: one (source proxy) in the production site and one (target proxy) in the disaster recovery site.
- To optimize performance of several concurrent tasks, you can use several VMware CDP proxies in each site
Before you start:
The Veeam Proxy software is automatically uploaded and installed by the Veeam Backup and Replication server.
Assumptions: It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system Recipe. It’s assumed that you have added at least one Microsoft Windows Server in the Backup infrastructure. If you have not added a server to the backup infrastructure, please refer to “Adding Microsoft Windows Servers”Recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane, select the Backup Proxies node. On the ribbon, click Add Proxy > VMware CDP.
- From the Choose server drop-down list, select a physical or virtual Microsoft Windows server to which you want to assign the VMware CDP proxy role. Click Next.
- At the Cache step of the wizard, specify the path to a folder where cached data will be stored and how much space can be used for storing the cache. We recommend you to allocate at least 10 GB or 1 GB per each replicated disk if you plan to replicate more than 10 disks in one CDP policy.
- At the Traffic Rules step you can optionally configure network traffic rules to throttle and/or encrypt the traffic sent between backup infrastructure components when is necessary. Otherwise just leave the default and click in Next.
- At the Review step of the wizard, review components which are already installed on the server and which will be installed. Click Apply to start installation of missing components
- At the Apply step of the wizard, wait till Veeam Backup & Replication installs and configures all the required components. Click Next to complete the procedure of the VMware CDP proxy role assignment.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review details of the server added as the VMware CDP proxy and click Finish to exit the wizard.
Links to Resources: