A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Restore agent backup to VMWare or Hyper-V
Time to complete: 15-30 minutes
- VMware ESXi 5.5+
- VMware vCenter
- Windows Server Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1+
- A backup of a system using the Veeam Agent for Windows or Linux
It is assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to “Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system” recipe.
Before you start
Ensure that you have sufficient virtual resources to allow for all the VMs to be started.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Home View
- Select Backups > system that requires recovery
- Either select “Instant Recovery” > “VMware vSphere…” / “Microsoft Hyper-V…” from top ribbon or right-click backup and select the same.
- Follow the steps in the Wizard including adding any additional systems to the restore job if required.
- If a Linux system you will need to deploy a small Linux helper appliance, this is done automatically but requires configuration.
- Once restored either use Storage vMotion or go to the running Instant Recovery Job and either click “migrate to production” in the top ribbon or right-click the job and select the same.
- Bon appetit
Links to Resources: