A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A DataCore storage added to Veeam Inventory, which can be used as source for VMware vSphere backups and restores from storage snapshots.
Time to complete: 10 minutes
- A Proxy Server already available in Veeam Infrastructure with FibreChannel or iSCSI access to the storage system
- An enterprise storage system with DataCore volumes used for VMware datastores.
- A user account that has the required permissions on the storage system.
Before you start:
- Make sure to provide the required Universal Storage API Integrated Systems Permissions for DataCore
- The Storage System Plug-In for DataCore needs to be installed on the Veeam Backup & Replication Server.
You have a Veeam Backup and Replication server installed and configured. The iSCSI or FibreChannel connectivity between the storage system and Veeam Proxy is established and that the Veeam Proxy is visible on the Front-End ports of the DataCore system.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console and select the Storage Infrastructure view on the left side.
- Click on Add Storage and select Show more vendors… and select DataCore on the second page of the wizard.
- Enter the DNS name or IP address of a DataCore manangement interface.
- Select the checkbox for Block or file storage for VMware vSphere and click Next.
- Click on Add… to provide credentials for the storage system or select exisiting credentials from the list. Click Next.
- Make sure the iSCSI or FibreChannel protocol is selected. Click on Choose… at the backup proxies to use and select one or multiple proxies with access to the storage system. Click Apply.
- View the log and click Next if all is completed successfully.
- Review the summary and click Finish to finalize the task and let the proxy start a rescan of the storage system.
- View the rescan log and click Close when finished.
- Confirm on the DataCore side, that the Veeam Proxy is visible and connected as a host twice named with _Backup and _Rescan.
Links to Resources:
- Veeam Guides and Helpcenter
- Veeam Knowledge Base - DataCore Plug-In
- Veeam Community Forums
- Veeam Best Practices