A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A tape media pool for WORM (Write Once Read Many) tapes in Veeam Backup & Replication which can be used as a target for Backup to Tape Jobs or File to Tape Jobs.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Veeam Backup & Replication installed.
- At least one Tape Server with a Library or drive added to Veeam Backup & Replication
Before you start:
Media pools are logical containers created in Veeam Backup & Replication to organize and administer tapes. They are target destinations for backup to tape and file to tape jobs. As the WORM tapes cannot be overwritten, you need to treat them differently when using with Veeam Backup & Replication. These tapes cannot have retention period, and for this reason you cannot place them to the same media pool with the overwritable tapes.
This guide assumes that a Tape Server with at least one library or tape drive is added and configured in Veeam Backup & Replication.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication console and select Tape Infrastructure from the bottom left menu.
- Select the top of the Tape Infrastructure tree. From the top menu choose “Add Media Pool – WORM”.
- Give the new Media Pool a name and description and click Next.
- Leave the checkbox to add tapes from free media pool enabled. Adding certain tapes is not necessary if there is no special requirement to do so. Click Next.
- Use the default Media set name and settings and click Next.
- Since this is for WORM tapes, no special retention can be defined. Click Next.
- Activate the checkbox to enable parallel processing and define the number of drives to be used.
- If desired enable “Use encryption” and select a password or define a new one by selecting “Add…”. Click Apply.
- See the summary and select Finish to close the wizard.
- On the left side the new Media Pool is now visible in the Tape Infrastructure tree and can be used for Backup to Tape Jobs or File to Tape Jobs.
Links to Resources: