The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Creating Azure SQL Backup Policies
A Policy to create backups of Azure SQL Managed Instances.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- A backup repository.
- A Azure SQL Managed Instance.
- Azure SQL Managed Instance account.
Before you start:
Depending on your requirements some advanced options like a staging server might be needed. This Cookbook describes the most simple appoach to protect your Azure SQL databases.
You have an existing Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure deployment.
- Open the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure webinterface.
- Open Policies from the left side of the Management menu and select the focus on Azure SQL. Click on Add.
- Enter the name and description of the policy and click Next
- Select the Source Azure account with Select Azure Active Directory and choose the regions in which you want to protect Azure SQL instances.
- Once at least one region is selected, click on Select resources to protect.
- Select SQL Server as ressource type, select the desired SQL server name and click Protect. Repeat this for every SQL server to protect and then click Apply. Click Next.
- Select Process databases using the production server and then Configure Credentials. Select your SQL account and click Apply. Click Next.
- Switch on at leat one retention option and click on Edit Settings. Select the target Repository and click Apply. Repeat this for every desired retention option, then click Next.
- Review the estimated costs and click Next twice.
- Review the summary and click Finish.
Links to Resources: