A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A new policy to create cloud-native snapshots of Google Cloud VMs.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- A Service Account with required privileges for Data Protection tasks.
Before you start: One backup policy can be used to process multiple VM instances within different regions, but you can back up each VM instance with one backup policy at a time The Review Estimated Cost will be available only if you have created a schedule for the backup policy at the Schedule step.
Assumptions: You have an existing Veeam Backup for Google Cloud deployment.
- Login the Veeam Backup for Google Cloud web interface.
- Navigate to Policies > VM and Click in Add
- At the Policy Info step, enter a Name and Description for the new backup policy.
- At the Sources step:
- In the Project section, choose a project that manages resources that you want to protect.
- In the Regions section, click Choose regions to select the regions in which VM instances that you want to protect reside.
- In the Resources section, click Choose resources to protect to select VM instances that Veeam Backup for Google Cloud will back up. You can choose to protect all VMs, or specific VMs.
- Click Next.
- At the Targets step, leave the default (Enable Application toggle off) and click Next
- At the Schedule step you can instruct Veeam to start the backup policy automatically (Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly) according to a specific backup schedule or leave the default for manual backup. Click Next.
- At the Labels step, you can instruct Veeam to assign labels to cloud-native snapshots created by the backup policy. Click Next
- At the Settings step, you can enable automatic retries, schedule health checks and specify notification settings for the backup policy, otherwise leave the default and click Next
- At the Cost Estimation step, review the approximate monthly cost of Google Cloud services that Veeam will require to protect the VM instances added to the backup policy. Click Next
- At the Summary step, review configuration information and click Finish.
Links to Resources: