The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Performing Google Cloud VM Disk Restore to a new location
A Google Cloud VM persistent disk recovered at the time of backup state in a new location.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- A Google Cloud VM cloud-native snapshot or image-level backup
- A Worker Configuration in the same region and availability zone where persistent disk will be restored, if restoring from an image-level backup.
Before you start:
You can restore zonal and regional persistent disks of all types: standard (pd-standard), balanced (pd-balanced), extreme (pd-extreme) and SSD (pd-ssd).
You have an existing Veeam Backup for Google Cloud deployment, and backups of one or more Google Cloud VMs.
- Login the Veeam Backup for Google Cloud web interface.
- Navigate to Protected Data > VM. Select the VM instance whose persistent disks you want to restore, and click Restore > Disk Restore.
- At the Instances step
- Select a restore point that will be used to restore persistent disks of the selected VM instance (by default the most recent restore point).
- If you want to restore only specific persistent disks of the selected VM, you can exclude the unnecessary disks from the restore process. Click Next.
- At the Restore Mode step, choose to restore the persistent disks to a new location. Click Next.
- At the Project step, select a project where the restored persistent disks will be created. Click Check Permissions to validate that the service account used has all the necessary permissions.
- At the Region step, select a region and an availability zone where the persistent disks will be restored.
- At the Encryption step, choose whether the restored persistent disks will be encrypted with customer-managed encryption keys (CMEKs) or will keep the original encryption scheme (default).
- At the Disk Settings step, you can select each persistent disk to be restored and click Rename if you want to change the disk name.
- At the Reason step, specify a reason for restoring the persistent disks. Click Next.
- At the Summary step, review summary information. Click Finish.
Links to Resources: