The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Restore a VM with Secure Restore
A restored VMware virtual machine in the same location and checked for malware before bringing back to the production environment.
Time to complete: 10 minutes
- At least one Restore Point of the virtual machines to be recovered.
Before you start:
With this procedure you will overwrite the status of exisiting virtual machines if they are still present the source environment.
You have a Veeam Backup and Replication server installed and configured. You have setup the related VMware environment in the Inventory of Veeam Backup and Replication.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Select Home on the bottom left menu. Then Select Restore -> VMware vSphere from the top menu.
- Select Restore from backup, then select Entire VM restore, then select Instant recovery and Instant recovery to VMware vSphere.
- Select Add -> From backup… to open the selection of available backups.
- Choose the desired VM from on of the backup and click Add. Repeat this for multiple VMs. You can use the search bar below to find all backup jobs containing a certain VM.
- Click Next twice.
- In the Secure Restore vie select the ckeckbox Scan the restored machine….
- Leave the option Proceed with recovery… enabled and select the checkbox to Scan the entire image. Click Next and then Finish.
- If VMs to be restored are still present in the VMware environment review the list of VMs to be deleted and select Yes if correct.
- Click Finish to start the recovery process and view the restore session log.
Links to Resources: