The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Add a Backup Repositories with Rotated Drives
A Veeam Backup & Replication Repository that uses rotated drives.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Server (Virtual or Physical) with minimum of 2 cores (vCPUs), plus 1 core (vCPU) for each additional concurrent task, 2 GB RAM plus 200 MB for each concurrent task, disk space 300 MB plus 50 MB for each concurrent task.
- Windows Server Operating system at least server Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 or Microsoft Windows 7 SP1.
- Rotated drives can be detachable USB or eSATA hard drives.
- Local Administrative account access on your server.
Before you start:
NFS and Scale-out backup repositories do not support rotated drives. Repositories with rotated drives are not supported as primary backup repositories, archive repositories, and secondary target repositories for NAS backup.
You have a Veeam Backup and Replication server installed. You have added at least one Microsoft Windows Server in the Backup infrastructure. If you have not added a server to the backup infrastructure, please refer to “Adding Microsoft Windows Servers” recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Select Backup Infrastructure on the bottom left menu.
- Right click Backup Repositories and choose Add Backup Repository.
- Select Direct attached storage and Microsoft Windows.
- Specify a name and optional description for the repository and click Next.
- At the Server step, select the Server that will have the repository role, and click Next.
- At the Repository step, specify the path to the folder or unit that will be used as repository. Change the number of concurrent tasks or limit the data rate, if required, and click Advanced. Check the This repository is backed by rotated hard drives box and click OK. Proceed by clicking Next on the main screen.
- In the Mount Server step, confirm or change the mount server settings, then click Next.
- Review the settings and confirm by clicking Apply. If you’re adding a repository with existing backups, flag the setting to import them automatically.
- After installation and registration is completed, click Finish and the Windows repository with Rotated Drives is ready to use.
Links to Resources: