The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Add a New Scale-Out Backup Repository with Capacity/Archive Tier
A Veeam Backup & Replication Scale-Out Repository with additional Capacity and Archive tiers.
Time to complete: 10 minutes
- One or more backup repositories for the Performance Tier
- Any object storage for the Capacity Tier
- A cold data storage like Amazon S3 Glacier or Microsoft Azure Archive Storage for the Archive Tier
Before you start:
You have multiple repositories of different types for the Performance Tier. You can have only a single extent for the Capacity Tier. You can have only a single extent for the Archive Tier.
You have a Veeam Backup and Replication server installed. You have added at least one backup repository in the Backup infrastructure. If you have not added a repository to the backup infrastructure, please refer to the “Adding New Repo” recipes.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Select Backup Infrastructure on the bottom left menu.
- Right click Scale-out Repositories and choose Add Scale-out Backup Repository.
- Specify a name for the repository and click Next.
- Click Add to specify which backup repositories you want to add as performance extents, and click Advanced to check the available options. When finished, click OK on the Advanced Settings and Next on the main screen.
- Set the backup file Placement Policy for the scale-out backup repository, either to Data locality or Performance, and click Next.
- Select the Extend scale-out backup repository capacity with object storage check box, and select an object storage repository that you want to add as a capacity extent. Click Add if you want to add a new object storage. Choose if you want data to be copied immediately to the capacity tier, and/or to move data older than the operational restore window. You can also optionally enable data encryption. Click Next to proceed.
- Select the Archive GFS full backups to object storage check box, and select an object storage repository that you want to add as an archive extent. Click Add if you want to add a new object storage. Click Storage on the right to see more options, and choose if you want to Store archived backups as standalone fulls and to Archive backups only if the remaining retention time is above minimal storage period. Click OK on the Storage window and Apply to proceed.
- Wait for the configuration to be completed, then click Finish. The scale out backup repository is now ready to use.
Links to Resources: