A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A Veeam Backup & Replication instance connected with an Amazon S3 External Repository to copy, import and/or restore Amazon EC2 instance backups created by Veeam Backup for AWS.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- An AWS S3 Bucket with “Standard storage” class assigned and Amazon EC2 instance backups created by Veeam Backup for AWS.
- [AWS User Credentials]
- Virtual or Physical server to be used as a Gateway Server. If you have not added a server to the backup infrastructure, please refer to “Adding Microsoft Windows Servers” “Adding Linux Servers” or Recipe
Before you start:
You cannot use an external repository as a target for backup or backup copy jobs.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system Recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the “Backup Infrastructure” view. In the inventory pane select the “External Repositories” node and click “Connect to Repository” on the ribbon. At the “Connect to External Repository” window, select Veeam Backup for AWS.
- At the Name step, specify a name and description for the external repository.
- At the Account step, specify Amazon S3 connection settings.
- From the Credentials list, select user credentials to access an Amazon S3 bucket with Amazon EC2 instance backups
- From the Data center region list, select the AWS region where the Amazon S3 bucket is located, for example Global.
- From the Gateway server list, select a server (Windows or Linux) that will be used to access the Amazon S3 bucket (Default: Veeam Backup Server).
- At the Bucket step of the wizard, select:
- An AWS region where the Amazon S3 bucket is located
- Select the Amazon S3 bucket where EC2 instance backups reside
- Select a folder in the Amazon S3 bucket where EC2 instance backups reside
- At the Encryption step, if data in the external repository is encrypted, provide a key for decryption.
- At the Apply step, wait for Veeam Backup & Replication to install and configure all required components. Then click Next to complete the procedure.
- At the Summary step, review the external repository settings and click Finish
Links to Resources: