A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A Veeam Backup & Replication instance connected with an Azure Blob Storage External Repository to copy, import and/or restore Azure VM backups created by Veeam Backup for Azure.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- An Azure Blob Storage with “Hot” or “Cool” access tier assigned and Azure VM backups created by Veeam Backup for Azure.
- [Azure User Credentials]
- Virtual or Physical server to be used as a Gateway Server. If you have not added a server to the backup infrastructure, please refer to “Adding Microsoft Windows Servers” “Adding Linux Servers” or Recipe
Before you start:
You cannot use an external repository as a target for backup or backup copy jobs.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system Recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane select the External Repositories node and click Connect to Repository on the ribbon. At the Connect to External Repository window, select Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure.
- At the Name step, specify a name and description for the external repository.
- At the Account step, specify Azure connection settings.
- From the Credentials list, select user credentials to access to an Azure Blob storage with VM backups.
- From the Region list, select the region type: Azure Global, Azure Germany, Azure China or Azure Government.
- From the Gateway server list, select a server (Windows or Linux) that will be used to access the Azure Blob storage (Default: Veeam Backup Server).
- At the Container step of the wizard, select:
- Select the Container where Azure VM backups reside.
- Select a folder in the Container where the Azure VM backups reside.
- At the Encryption step, if data in the external repository is encrypted, provide a Key Vault key or a password for decryption.
- At the Apply step, wait for Veeam Backup & Replication to install and configure all required components. Then click Next to complete the procedure.
- At the Summary step, review the external repository settings and click Finish
Links to Resources: