A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A fully installed, working Veeam backup & Replication service with external SQL database that can deliver backup and restores with a base level of functionality. Time to complete: 20 minutes
- Server (Virtual or Physical) with 8 Cores, 16GB Ram, C: drive with 50GB free space, D: drive with at least enough space to cover your backup needs.
- Windows Server Operating system at least server Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 (can be 2008 R2 SP1 however 2012 R2 should be minimum you should use).
- Additional Windows Server (Virtual or Physical) for SQL Server with at least 2 Cores, 4GB Ram, C: drive with 50GB free space
- All editions of Microsoft SQL Server are supported, minimum version must be 2008 (recommended 2016 or higher).
- Local Administrative account access on your server.
- Veeam Backup & Replication zip file downloaded and on your target machine (always use the most recent form the Veeam website, it will contain all the latest patching and updates).
- For paid versions please have your license file located within easy reach on the server you will be installing Veeam onto.
Before you start:
The Veeam Backup & Replication software downloads in a zip file which expands into a iso image, you will need to unzip and have access to the iso image before starting.
Assumptions: This guide is focused on using the licensed version of Veeam Backup & Replication, not the Community Edition, the only actual difference in the process is in step 5, you have no need to select a license file (for Community Edition). You already have the external SQL Server installed and reachable.
- Right click the iso image and select mount.
- Explore the mounted as a DVD image in file manager, find and run the setup application in the root of the drive.
- In the main popup window select the install option in the large section (top left).
- Read the Licence Agreement and tick both Terms and conditions boxes to enable Next button.
- Browse to your licence file and add, select Next.
- Accept the defaults on the Program Features page unless you have a good reason to change anything. Press Next.
- On System Configuration check page press install and wait for completion. Press Next when available. A reboot may be required after this depending on your OS, if this is the case reboot and go back to 1.
- On Configuration select the Let me specify different settings option.
- There will be additional steps, such as: Service Account, Port Configuration and Data Locations, that can be skipped for this recipe.
- At the SQL Server Instance step, select the Use existing instance of SQL Server option and enter the instance name in the HOSTNAME\INSTANCE format. In the Database field, specify a name for the Veeam Backup & Replication database. Select an authentication mode to connect to the Microsoft SQL Server instance: Microsoft Windows authentication or SQL Server authentication. Click Next
- At the Ready to Install step, review the information, then click Install. After a wait for the software to complete, your icons are on your desktop and Veeam Backup and Replication is now ready for use.
Links to Resources:
- Veeam Software Product Download
- Veeam Guides and Helpcenter
- Veeam Community Forums
- Veeam Best Practices