A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A vCenter Server instance added to Veeam Infrastructure and ready to be used as source and target for backup, replication and other activities.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- A supported version of a vCenter Server instance already in place. Veeam supports vSphere 5.5, 6.x and 7.0 (up to 7.0 U2)
- An account that has administrative permissions is required. You can either grant the Administrator role to the account or configure granular vCenter Server permissions. For more information, see the Required Permissions Reference.
- Proper communication between Veeam Backup Server and vCenter Server through ports 443 and 10443. In addition, Veeam Backup Server should be able to connect with ESXi servers through ports 443, 902 and 22.
Before you start:
There is no need of downloading or manually deploying any piece of Veeam software in this server before proceeding with this recipe.
Assumptions: It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to “Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system” recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane, select the Managed Servers node and click Add Server on the ribbon or right-click the Managed Servers node and select Add Server. In the Add Server window, click VMware vSphere > vSphere.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify an address (Full DNS Name or IP Address) and description for the vCenter Server instance. Click in Next.
- From the Credentials list, select credentials for the account that has administrative permissions. If you have not set up credentials beforehand, click the Manage accounts link or click Add on the right to add the credentials.
- Provide the Username and Password for the account that you want to add.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the created credentials record.
- Click OK to complete de account creation
- At the Credentials step, click in Apply to continue. If the certificate installed on the server is not trusted, Veeam Backup & Replication displays a warning. If you trust the server, click Continue.
- At the Apply step of the wizard, wait till Veeam Backup & Replication installs and configures all the required components. Click Next to complete the adding of the server.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review details of the VMware vSphere server and click Finish to exit the wizard
Links to Resources: