A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A SMB file share added to Veeam Backup & Replication which can be used as source in File share backup jobs or as a alternative target for SMB file share restores.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Two physical or virtual servers with at least 6 Cores and 16GB RAM added to Veeam Backup & Replication as a Proxy Server.
Before you start:
With Veeam Backup & Replication you can easily backup and restore content of various NAS file shares. Depending on the number and sizes of the shares as well as the number of folders and files it is necessary to prepare a more detailed sizing is required. This cookbook is focused on smaller and medium sized files shares.
This guide assumes that one or more Backup Proxies are added to Veeam Backup & Replication. A Repository to be used as Cache repository must be available. Network access and the required permission to connect to the SMB share to be protected need to be ready and on-hand.
- Open the Veeam Backup and Replication console and select “Inventory” from the bottom left menu.
- Select “File Shares” in the tree view. From the top menu choose “Add File Share” and then select “SMB Share”
- Enter the UNC path for the SMB share. Enable “This share requires access credentials”.
- (Optional) If the credentials have not been added until this point, select “Add…”. Provide the credentials and a description and click “OK”.
- Select the needed credentials from the drop-down list and click “Next”
- Select the desired cache repository. Leave the backup I/O control in the middle position and click “Apply”.
- When all processes are successful continue and click on “Next”.
- Review the summary and end the wizard with “Finish”.
- In the tree view on the left side expand “File Shares” and click on “SMB Shares”.
- The added SMB shares are now visible and ready to be used in File Backup Jobs.
Links to Resources: