The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Adding Microsoft Hyper-V Clusters to Veeam Infrastructure
A Hyper-V Cluster added to Veeam Infrastructure and ready to be used as source and target for backup, replication and other activities. Note that it is not necessary to add SCVMM servers to Veeam Backup & Replication — you can add directly Hyper-V hosts or clusters managed by SCVMM.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- A supported version of a Hyper-V Cluster already in place. Veeam supports Hyper-V 2008 R2 SP1 or later.
- An account that has local Administrator permissions is required.
- Make sure that you do not add to the backup infrastructure Hyper-V hosts or clusters managed by an SCVMM server if this SCVMM server is already added to the backup infrastructure.
- File and printer sharing must be enabled in network connection settings of the added Microsoft Hyper-V host.
- Make sure that the NETBIOS name of the Microsoft Hyper-V Server is successfully resolved.
Before you start:
There is no need of downloading or manually deploying any piece of Veeam software in this server before proceeding with this recipe.
Assumptions: It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to “Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system” recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane, select the Managed Servers node and click Add Server on the ribbon or right-click the Managed Servers node and select Add Server. In the Add Server window, click Microsoft Hyper-V > Hyper-V.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify an address (Full DNS Name or IP Address) and description for the Hyper-V Cluster. Click in Next.
- At the Type step, choose Microsoft Hyper-V cluster. Click in Next.
- From the Credentials list, select credentials for the account that has administrative permissions. If you have not set up credentials beforehand, click the Manage accounts link or click Add on the right to add the credentials.
- Provide the Username and Password for the account that you want to add.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the created credentials record.
- Click OK to complete de account creation. Click Next
- At the Apply step of the wizard, review what Veeam Backup & Replication components are already installed on the server and what components will be installed. Veeam Backup & Replication will check every managed Microsoft Hyper-V host in the Cluster to install or update the components. Click Apply to complete the adding of the Cluster
- At the Results step of the wizard, complete the procedure of Microsoft Hyper-V server adding. Review details of the Microsoft Hyper-V server, click Next, then click Finish to exit the wizard
Links to Resources: