The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Create a Hyper-V Replication Job without Guest Processing
A Veeam Replication Job to replicate Hyper-V VMs from a source Hyper-V host to a target Hyper-V host without Guest application-aware processing enabled.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- Hyper-V Virtual infrastructure must have been added to the backup infrastructure and properly configured. That means adding source and target Hyper-V clusters (recommended) or standalone Hyper-V hosts.
- If you want to perform backup in the off-host backup mode, the off-host backup proxy must also be added and properly configured, otherwise you can use the Hyper-V hosts as on-host Backup Proxies.
- Backup repository for replica metadata. Deduplicating appliances and Scale-out Backup repositories aren’t supported.
Before you start:
The target datastore must have enough free space to store disks of replicated VMs.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to “Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system” recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- On the Home view. On the ribbon, click Replication Job > Virtual machine > Microsoft Hyper-V.
- At the Name step of the wizard, specify a job name and description. Click Next.
- At the Virtual Machines step of the wizard, select VMs and VM containers (Hyper-V hosts, clusters, SCVMM, SCVMM tags, SCVMM host groups, VM groups, or volumes) that you want to replicate. Click Add, then in the Add Object window select the necessary VMs or VM containers and click Add. Click Next.
- At the Destination step, select a target host or cluster (recommended)and next to the Path field, click Choose and specify a path to the folder where VM replica files must be stored. Click Next.
- At the Job Settings step, select a backup repository that will store metadata for VM replicas.
- In the Replica name suffix field, enter a suffix that will be added to the original VM names
- In the Restore points to keep field, specify the number of restore points that the job must maintain (Max 47).
- At the Data Transfer step, if you want to use off-host Backup Proxy, click Choose and select the Source proxy , otherwise click Choose and select On-host backup in the Backup Proxy window. Leave Direct option selected and click Next.
- At the Guest Processing step, keep Enable application-aware processing option unchecked. Click Next.
- At the Schedule step of the wizard, select to run the replication job manually or schedule the job to run on a regular basis.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review details of the replication job. If you want to start the job right after you close the wizard, select the Run the job when I click Finish check box, otherwise leave the check box unselected. Then click Finish to close the wizard
Links to Resources: