The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Add a new Google Cloud Storage External Repository
A Veeam Backup & Replication instance connected with an Google Cloud Storage External Repository to copy, import and/or restore Google Cloud Platform VM backups created by Veeam Backup for GCP.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- An Google Cloud Platform bucket with “Standard storage” class assigned and Google Cloud Platform VM backups created by Veeam Backup for GCP.
- [GCP User Credentials]
- Virtual or Physical server to be used as a Gateway Server. If you have not added a server to the backup infrastructure, please refer to “Adding Microsoft Windows Servers” “Adding Linux Servers” or Recipe
Before you start:
You cannot use an external repository as a target for backup or backup copy jobs.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system Recipe.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- Open the Backup Infrastructure view. In the inventory pane select the External Repositories node and click Connect to Repository on the ribbon. At the Connect to External Repository window, select Veeam Backup for Google Cloud.
- At the Name step, specify a name and description for the external repository.
- At the Account step, specify GCP connection settings.
- From the Credentials list, select user credentials to access to a GCP storage bucket with VM backups.
- From the Gateway server list, select a server (Windows or Linux) that will be used to access the Google Cloud storage (Default: Veeam Backup Server).
- At the Bucket step of the wizard, select:
- A GCP Data center region where the Google Cloud storage bucket is located.
- Select the GCP Storage bucket where GCP VM backups reside.
- Select a folder in the GCP Storage bucket where the GCP VM backups reside.
- If the folder contains encrypted backups, select the “Use this password for encrypted backups” check box and provide a password.
- At the Apply step, wait until Veeam Backup & Replication applies settings and completes adding the external repository. Then click Next.
- At the Summary step, review the external repository settings and click Finish
Links to Resources: