The Veeam Cookbook Series
A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
Recipe: Perform a Failover to recover a VM replicated with CDP
Running a Failover of a Virtual Machine replicated with a Veeam CDP Policy to move all processes from the original VM in the production site to the VM replica in the disaster recovery site.
Time to complete: 15 minutes
- Virtual Machine to be recovered must have been replicated with a Veeam CDP Policy successfully at least once.
- CDP replicas must be in the Ready state.
Before you start:
The target Cluster or Host must have enough processing resources to power on the replicated VM.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment.
- Open the Veeam Backup & Replication Console.
- On the Home tab, click Restore > VMware vSphere > Restore from replica > Entire replica > Failover to a replica.
- At the Virtual Machines step, select one or more VMs for which you want to perform failover.
- Click Add, then select where to browse for VMs and VM containers, whether From infrastructure or From replicas.
- Select the VMs you want to restore and click Add.
- If you want to select a specific restore point(by default Veeam uses the latest valid restore point), then in the Virtual machines to failover list, select the necessary VM and click Point. Then in the Restore Points window, select whether you want to fail over to the latest available crash-consistent restore point, to the latest long-term application-consistent restore point or to a specific point in time.
- At the Reason step, enter a reason for failing over to the VM replicas. Click Next.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review details of the failover task and click Finish to exit the wizard. When the failover process is complete, the CDP replicas will be started on the target host.
Important: Failover is an intermediate step that needs to be finalized. You can finalize failover in the following way:
- Perform permanent failover
- Undo failover
- Perform failback
Links to Resources: