A simple step by step no frills approach to achieving your goal
A new Standard Tape GFS Media Pool to store data to tape according to the GFS, or Grandfather-Father-Son rotation scheme.
Time to complete: 5 minutes
- At least one Tape Server with a Library or drive added to Veeam Backup & Replication
- Rewritable tapes
Before you start:
For using WORM tapes, you need to create separate media pools, please check the Adding a New WORM GFS Media Pool recipe.
It’s assumed that you already have a Veeam Backup Server fully working in your environment. If you need to install Veeam Backup Server, please refer to Installing Veeam Backup & Replication All-In-One Base system Recipe.
- Open the Tape Infrastructure view and click Add GFS Media Pool on the ribbon.
- Select Standard to create a media pool for standard tapes.
- At the Name step of the wizard, enter a name and a description for the new media pool. Click Next.
- At the Tapes step of the wizard, select tape libraries and allocate tapes for the pool.
- From the list in the Tape library field, select the tape device that you want to use in this media pool.
- To allocate specific tapes from the library, click the Add in the Tapes field and select tapes that should be added to the media pool.
- To make the media pool replenishable, select the “Add tapes from Free media pool automatically when more tapes are required” check box.
- At the GFS Media Set step of the wizard, you can set the data retention period for every backup cycle: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly.
- At the Options step of the wizard:
- Select the “Enable parallel processing for tape jobs using this media pool” check box if you want to process multiple tape jobs simultaneously.
- If you want to encrypt the content of files or backups archived to tapes in the media pool, select the “Use encryption” check box. From the Password field, select a password you want to use to encrypt data written to tape.
- At the Summary step of the wizard, review the media pool settings and click Finish to complete the wizard.
Links to Resources: